In its first Combined Annual and ESG Report, BAT announced important results in achieving environmental, social and governance (ESG) objectives. Regarding the management of the water used in its production processes in 2022, BAT`s report shows that:
- 24 own operation sites are certified by the Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS), including the BAT factory in Ploiesti, which obtained the AWS certification last year;
- 22.6 percent of used water volume was recycled;
- 33 percent reduction in water withdrawn vs 2017 baseline was registered, which means a 7 percent reduction in water withdrawn vs 2021;
- 82 percent of tobacco hectares in the Tobacco Supply Chain have best practice soil and water management plans in place.
“Efficient water management is vital for the responsible use of resources, both at the individual and organizational level. Consistency and perseverance are needed in this endeavor and the theme of this year’s World Water Day is <accelerating change>, complemented by the slogan <Be the change you would like to see in the world>, a message that we have also supported through the years within our <Choose Responsibly for a Clean City> campaigns. BAT is engaged in building A Better Tomorrow™ for consumers and for the society, both by fulfilling our business sustainability objectives, towards which we are taking decisive steps, as well as through campaigns related to the responsibility of our individual choices,” says Ileana Dumitru, Legal and External Affairs Director, Central Europe South Area at BAT.
In 2020, BAT announced ambitious targets for reducing the health impact of its business, reaching environmental protection excellency, generating a positive social impact and its engagement in correct and responsible commercial practices. BAT`s targets include reaching 50 million consumers of its non-combustible products by 2030; reaching net zero CO2 emissions across its value chain by 2030; 100 percent renewable energy by 2030.
In water management, BAT aims by 2025:
- 35 percent reduction in water withdrawn by 2025 vs 2017 baseline;
- 100 percent of operations sites Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS) certified by 2025 – this globally recognized independent certification will contribute to the validation of the sustainable use of water by BAT;
- 30 percent of water recycled by 2025.
BAT’s efforts and commitment to high sustainability standards have been recognized by prestigious independent institutions. Among them are BAT`s inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 21 consecutive years (BAT is the only tobacco company listed in the prestigious World Index in 2022, being ranked among the top 3 percent of evaluated companies), an MSCI BBB rating and the CDP A List level.